Even though cabbage stimulates natural gas, it provides numerous health benefits. Namely, numerous studies have demonstrated that it can lower the risk of various health conditions, from diabetes to heart disease. This extremely healthy vegetable has numerous advantages and preventative properties.
It can be used in numerous cases in order to prevent ailments and is extremely effective in the case of indigestion, as well as minor wounds.
Cabbage can be used alone or in some healing mixtures in order to treat various health issues. For example, when mixed with watercress, dried bilberries, and chamomile tea, and placed directly to the affected place, you can effectively treat eczema.
Apparently, a woman used the strong anti-inflammatory properties of the cabbage leaves in order to use them as a compress and treat joint pain. She placed warm cabbage leaves around the knee and encased it entirely.
She let them cool a bit and secured them with a self-stuck gauze bandage. In the end, she covered it with plastic wrap to keep the warmth. The repeated use of this method successfully alleviated the pain in her knee within a month.
This is only one of the numerous uses of cabbage leaves. This is what you didn’t know about the benefits of cabbage leaves:
Type 2 Diabetes
Cabbage effectively decelerates the sugar absorption in people at risk of developing diabetes, as well as in those who already suffer from type 1 diabetes. It is rich in fiber and thus it supports the absorption of excess glucose. In the case of diabetes:
- Eat cabbage as a side dish at least 3 times on a daily basis.
- Consume cabbage juice, at least, two times during the day.
- Drink cabbage in boiled form, and add some lemon if you want to enrich the taste.
Reduce the risk of Heart Disease
Red cabbage leaves contain anthocyanin, a water-soluble pigment which effectively treats inflammation. Moreover, cabbage is high in polyphenol which is related to the reduction of blood pressure and promotes heart health. This is what you should do as a treatment in case of heart disease:
- For best results, use raw cabbage leaves.
- Replace lettuce with cabbage in salads.
- Take 2 tablespoons of cooked cabbage on a daily basis
- Drink a glass of cabbage juice daily
Cabbage is extremely effective in its fermented form as kimchi and sauerkraut, as it promotes digestive health. It includes probiotics which boost the vitamin and mineral absorption.
Furthermore, also plays a role in digestive health in a fermented form as sauerkraut and kimchi. Since it contains probiotics it increases the absorption of vitamins and minerals and its enzymes push the food within the digestive tract.
This is how to use it in case of digestion and stomach issues:
- In order to treat constipation, eat raw cabbage, or cooked in your meals.
- In a case of stomach ulcers, you should take cabbage juice capsules.
- In order to treat diarrhea, drink cabbage juice between meals.
Breast Pain and Engorgement
Using cabbage leaves as a cold compress for painful breasts is known to help reduce swelling and relieve pain associated with engorgement. Researchers aren’t sure if there is a property within the cabbage itself that does the healing, or if the remedy helps simply because the cabbage leaves are acting as a cold compress, but either way, it’s harmless, natural and effective. Cabbage does contain significant amounts of polyphenols that provide anti-inflammatory benefits, which may explain why putting cold cabbage leaves on your breasts can soothe pain and discomfort while reducing breast swelling.
- Place a head of cabbage in the refrigerator until it gets cold. You can use red or green cabbage, but red cabbage may leave stains or discolor your bra or clothing.
- Once the cabbage is chilled, peel off the outer layer of leaves and throw them away.
- Pull off two of the inner leaves and place the head of cabbage back into the refrigerator.
- Rinse the two leaves with cold water to make sure they’re clean.
- Carefully cut out the stem from the center of each leaf to ensure that the leaves will fit onto your breasts without covering your nipples.
- Place the clean, cold cabbage leaves on your breasts and hold them in place the same way you would hold a cold compress. You can also wear a bra to keep the leaves in place.
- Leave the cabbage leaves on your breasts for about 20 minutes, or until they become warm, then remove them.
- Repeat as necessary for pain and swelling.
The leaves of cabbage are able to soak up pus from ingrown toenails. This is how to use them:
- Place several leaves on the affected area and secure them with a big bandage.
- Leave them during the night in order to allow them to act.
- You should repeat this until you solve the issue. Change the leaves daily.
The leaves of cabbage reduce pain and treat inflammations. According to a study conducted at the University of Missouri, there is a strong link between apigenin in cabbage and its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, cabbage leaves compresses can be extremely beneficial in the treatment of minor sources of pain.
This is how to prepare them:
- Initially, you should wash the cabbage leaves and dry them well. Any kinds of cabbage leaves can be used, but if possible, use red leaves for best effects.
- Then, put the dry leaves in the painful place.
- Secure them with a bandage or an adhesive plaster.
- Leave the compress thus overnight in order to act.
- Change the compress daily.
Cabbage is extremely useful in the process wound healing. This is how to prepare it:
- Wash some green cabbage leaves and dry them.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten them and cut them.
- Place them in the microwave for a minute in order to heat them.
Apply the leaves on the wound and leave them to act. Change them on every 2 hours and over time, do it every 4-5 hours.