Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums which is usually caused by bacterial infections. It is recommended that it is treated in its early stage. Common symptoms of gingivitis include: receding gums, bleeding around the gums, swollen gums etc.
Here are some natural remedies which can help you treat gingivitis at home:
Make a solution of salt and water to swish. Salt has the ability to kill bacteria by changing the pH level in the mouth. Also, this solution will reduce swelling.
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 glass lukewarm water or mustard oil
- Add the salt in a glass of water and swish your mouth 2-3 times a day.
- Prepare paste of salt and a few drops of mustard oil. Apply the paste on your gums and let ti act for 3 minutes. Repeat the procedure three times a day.
It is a common ingredient in our kitchen. It has a number of beneficial uses, including its ability to balance the pH levels in the mouth.
- 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1-2 cups of warm water
Swish your mouth with coconut or sesame oil for 10 minutes and then spit it out. Then, wash your mouth with warm water.
Lemon juice is an excellent source of vitamin C which has strong anti-inflammatory properties.
- 1 squeezed lemon
- 1 glass of warm water
Combine water and lemon juice and wash your mouth with the resulting mixture regularly.
Aloe vera has strong antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties and therefore it is excellent for treating gingivitis.
- Aloe vera gel
- Scrape out the gel of aloe vera leaf
- Rub the gel on your gums
Clove oil is commonly used for treating oral infections since ancient times.
- 3-5 drops clove oil
- Cotton swab
Put several drops of clove oil on a cotton swab. Hold it against the inflamed gum for a couple of minutes. Also, you can chew a clove every day prevent and treat gum and teeth disease.
Turmeric contains an active compound known as curcumin which has strong ant-inflammatory effect.
- 4 tablespoons Turmeric
- 8 tablespoons of Neem powder
- ¼ tablespoon Alum powder
- ¼ tablespoon salt
Take one medium sized bowl and put all the ingredients in it. Mix thoroughly. Keep it in an air-tight container. Once you are ready to use it, rub a moderate amount on your gum and allow it to act for 15 minutes. Then, wash your mouth with warm water. Repeat the procedure 2 times a day.
- 5 guava leaves
- 2 cups of water
- Bring a cup of water to boil. Add guava leaves into the water.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer until half the water evaporates.
- Strain and let cool.
- Rinse your mouth with the strained water 2 -3 times a day.
Also, you can chew clean guava leaves for a couple of minutes. Then, spit it out and wash your mouth with warm water. Alternatively, you can crush guava leaves and rub the resulting paste on the inflamed gum.
Age and peppermint are also very beneficial for treating gingivitis. They have powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects which can reduce gum swelling and ill the bacteria that cause gingivitis.
- 1 tablespoon of sage or peppermint
- 1 cup of water
- Bring a cup of water to boil, add sage herb into it.
- Turn heat to low and allow it to simmer for about 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain and let it cool down. Use the resulting water to rinse your mouth.
Some additional tips to prevent gingivitis:
- Brush your teeth on daily basis
- Floss everyday
- Visit the dentist on a regular basis
- Use mouthwash every day
- Change your toothbrush every three months.
- Quit smoking
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Take more vitamin C
- Avoid sugary foods as much as possible