Homemade Cough Syrup to Remove Phlegm from the Lungs
Onions contain extraordinarily powerful compounds that possess many health benefits. Due to their disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties, onions have long been used to ward off and relieve symptoms of the common flu including coughs. When it comes to coughs, there are several types, and the worst one is hacking or productive cough. Here, we provide an excellent folk remedy that can successfully clean your lungs of phlegm, thus relieve cough attacks. Plus, this article offers other effective natural treatments for flu and colds.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE PRODUCTIVE COUGH
Productive cough is normally the nastiest one because it goes together with tightness in the chest, a wheezing sound while breathing, mucus accumulation in the chest and airway, and phlegm cough. It’s usually caused by thick mucus build up. The mucus can vary in colour – yellow, green, and white, all of which are excreted by coughing. Cough is triggered by your lungs as they fight against anything that inhibits their proper function, which is a normal physiologic response to foreign bodies. These are the most common symptoms of a productive cough:
- Excessive coughing in the mornings
- Persistent cough
- Tightness in the chest
- Congestion or heaviness in the chest
- Whistling sound when coughing or breathing
- Sticky phlegm expelled by coughing
The colour of phlegm is also important as it reveals what causes it:
Yellow phlegm: It’s caused by an immune response to inflammation in the airways.
Green phlegm: It’s caused by a serious bacterial infection, such as bronchitis.
Clear phlegm: It’s the normal type of phlegm.
Pink phlegm: It’s caused by asthma.
Brown phlegm: It’s caused by air pollution or smog.
Grey phlegm: It’s caused by cigarette smoke.
HOMEMADE COUGH SYRUP TO REMOVE PHLEGM FROM THE LUNGS
This efficient folk remedy can successfully remove phlegm from the lungs. Plus, it’s completely safe for children. All you need is the following:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 lemon cut into slices
- a spoonful of sage
- 1 tsp. marshmallow root
- 1 tsp. flaxseed
- Mix the water and sugar in a saucepan.
- Heat the mixture until it boils and the sugar melts.
- Then, add the other ingredients, mix well and remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes then strain the liquid.
- Store the mixture in a glass jar and secure it with a tight lid.
- Keep it refrigerated for longer shelf life.
- Take one tablespoon of this syrup three times a daily until you feel improvements.