This condition develops in several stages – it first starts as a painful joint due to the pressure of shoes, and eventually results in inflammation. In the more advanced stages, when other fingers become affected or secondary degenerative changes appear in the middle of the foot, a secondary deformation occurs.
There are several ways to address this issue, and one of them includes surgery. However, operative treatment of bunions does not always prove successful. Luckily, there are a number of home remedies that can treat bunions effectively.
1# Bay leaf tea
When treating bunion, the first most important thing to do is clean your body of salt deposits. You can do this in the following way:
- Using an enameled pot, cook a tablespoon of crushed bay leaves in 300ml water for 5 minutes. You can do this in the evening.
- Pour the mixture into a thermos and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, strain and drink in small sips throughout the day. Make sure you don’t drink it all at once.
- Continue with this treatment for 3 consecutive days, making fresh bay leaf tea each evening.
- After a week, repeat the entire procedure.
You may experience a more frequent need to urinate, but this is nothing to worry about as this only indicates that the salt in your body has started dissolving and is somewhat irritating your bladder.
You should experience the first results in about ten days. Your entire body will be relieved and the joint pain will disappear completely.
This folk remedy is also beneficial for eliminating bile stones.
The entire bay leaf treatment should last about 2 months, which is how long it takes for bunions to disappear completely.
2# Bay leaf solution
- Pour 100ml of 96% alcohol over 5 large bay leaves which you have previously crushed. Leave the solution for one week then strain.
- Soak your feet in a combination of warm water and baking soda (3l water and 1 tbsp. baking soda). Apply the mixture on your bunions.
- Put on some cotton socks and lie down.
3# Iodine and aspirin
This is another efficient home remedy for painful bunions, as well as joints.
- Crush 5 pills of aspirin or Andols (200mg) and mix with 10ml iodine.
- Stir well until the aspirin is dissolved.
- Apply this solution on your painful areas such as joints or ankles every night. Upon application, make sure to warm the acing area for the night. You will quickly feel pain relief.
4# Soap treatment
Regular soaps treatments also relieve pain and inflammations from bunions.
You simply grate the soap and massage the painful area with it. Then wash it off and pat dry.
5# Iodine treatment
- Dip a cotton swab in some Povidone iodine, and apply on the bunions.
- In order to be well absorbed, leave the iodine dry on the skin. Then put on some cotton socks. Treatment is done for 30 days.
- Optionally, mix equal proportions of iodine and lemon juice and apply on your bunion.