There’s hardly anyone who doesn’t reach for some sort of a cough remedy during the season of colds and flu. With winter here to stay for at least a couple of months more, having an efficient cough remedy is a MUST!
The thing is that the cold and flu remedies we buy over the counter are not the safest in the world. Often, the chemicals they contain do more harm than good. However, there’s an amazing recipe of only three NATURAL ingredients that effectively sooths a sore throat, alleviates coughs and relieves cold and flu symptoms. Plus, it’s completely safe for kids too.
What you need:
- 1/2 cup raw organic honey
- 2 organic lemon juice
- 1 freshly grated ginger root
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar or cornstarch and 1 t powdered vitamin C (optional)
What you do:
- Mix the honey, lemon juice, and grated ginger in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-low heat stirring constantly with a wire whisk to prevent burning. It will start foaming up the sides of the saucepan, so briefly remove it from the heat while still stirring to let the foam subside. Put it back over the heat to continue cooking. You may need to reduce heat to prevent burning.
- Using a candy thermometer, check for mixture temperature until it reaches 300 degrees when you remove it from heat. Be extra careful here as honey heats fast and burns easily.
- Leave to mixture to cool for a couple of minutes. It should thicken slightly by this time.
- Drop the mixture by teaspoon onto a silicon mat or parchment paper. Alternatively, you can pour it into small candy molds. Leave the drops to cool until hard, but don’t refrigerate them.
- Once the drops harden enough, you can dust them with powdered sugar or cornstarch to which you have added vitamin C powder to prevent sticking. This is only optional.
- 7. Put the drops in a covered container and store at room temperature or in the fridge. The latter is a better option as these cough drops tend to attract more moisture when at room temperature.