This dish is so flavorful that it could almost pass as a decadent cheat meal. That’s exactly where you want to be with your diet; making food choices that are clean and nourishing, but so satisfying that you don’t feel like you’re missing out or denying yourself anything.
You can whip this one up for literally any of the three meals and it only takes a few minutes. As another added bonus, you can cook up a large batch of quinoa and have easy to prepare leftovers.
Here are the benefits to this meal:
- Quinoa is a superfood that has an almost perfect ratio of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, making it great for athletes or those looking to lose weight.
- Avocado is full of heart healthy fat that can actually improve healthy cholesterol levels. They’re also high in fiber and Vitamins E and C, folate, and potassium.
- Salsa (or fresh tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos) is low in calories but high in flavor, and a good source of vitamin C, beta carotene, and lycopene, which has been proven to help prevent cancer.
- Raw garlic offers a substantial immune boost as well as antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Eggs are a great source of protein and B vitamins.
- The dish is high in fiber, protein, and vitamins. This entire dish packs a serious punch when it comes to a healthy energy source, flavor that satisfies the taste buds, and everything you need to fuel a healthy body.
- Gluten free and easily made vegetarian or vegan; simply leave off the eggs or replace them with tofu
1 Cup Quinoa, cooked
1/2 Avocado, diced
2 Eggs (cooked however you like)
1/2 Cup Homemade Salsa
Cumin (roughly 1 tsp), fresh garlic (1-2 cloves), fresh basil (approximately 1/4 cup fresh leaves), to taste
Throw it all together
Add your cooked quinoa to a plate or bowl; stir in cumin generously, to taste. While cooking your eggs, briefly saute the salsa with the fresh garlic and basil leaves. Add the eggs, avocado, and sauteed salsa and spices to your quinoa; mix all together and enjoy.
Serving Size: All ingredients as listed above
Serves: 1 Person (easy to modify to make a large batch or serve a large crowd)
Total Fat: 30 g
Saturated Fat: 6.6 g
Trans Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 327 mg
Sodium: 450 mg
Potassium: 1190 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 53 g
Dietary Fiber: 11.1 g
Sugars: 5 g
Protein: 23 g
Vitamin A: 19%
Vitamin C: 17%