More than 55 diseases have been linked to gluten, the protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. It’s estimated that 99% of the people who have either gluten intolerance or celiac disease are never diagnosed. It is also estimated that as many as 15% of the US population is gluten intolerant. Could you be one of them?
If you have any of the following symptoms it could be a sign that you have gluten intolerance:
1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloating, diarrhea, and even constipation (I see the constipation particularly in children) after eating gluten.
2. Keratosis Pilaris, also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms. This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut.
3. Fatigue, brain fog, or feeling tired after eating a meal that contains gluten
4. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma, or Multiple sclerosis
5. Neurologic symptoms such as dizziness or feeling of being off balance
6. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, PCOS, or unexplained infertility
7. Migraine headaches
8. Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia–the diagnoses simply indicate your conventional doctor cannot pin point the cause of your fatigue or pain.
9. Inflammation, swelling,or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees or hips.
10. Mood issues such as anxiety, depression, mood swings and ADD.
How to test for gluten intolerance
I have found the single best ways to determine if you have an issue with gluten is to go through an elimination diet and take it out of your diet for at least 2 -3 weeks and then reintroduce it. Please note that gluten is a very large protein and it can take months and even years to clear from your system so the longer you can eliminate it from your diet before reintroducing it, the better.
The best advice that I share with my patients is that if they feel significantly better off of gluten or feel worse when they reintroduce it, then gluten is likely a problem for them. In order to get accurate results from this testing method you must eliminate 100% of the gluten from your diet.
How to treat gluten intolerance
Eliminating gluten 100% from your diet means 100%. Even trace amounts of gluten from cross contamination or medications or supplements can be enough to cause an immune reaction in your body.
The 80/20 rule or “we don’t eat it in our house, just when we eat out” is a complete misconception. An article published in 2001 states that for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity eating gluten just once a month increased the relative risk of death by 600%.
Interested in finding out if you are gluten intolerant?
Take our Guide to Gluten eCourse! This course outlines a proven method to help you determine your own body’s reaction to gluten. Our objective is to empower you to discover how gluten affects your body and how to thrive without gluten in your diet.During the course, you will have access to a number of worksheets, shopping guides, and checklists that you can complete in the comfort of your home. The more worksheets and checklists you complete, the more helpful and effective this eCourse will be for you.The focus of this 4-hour eCourse is to provide a detailed understanding of gluten and the tools to enjoy a gluten-free lifestyle.
The Myers Way Guide to Gluten eCourse includes:
- 4 hours of information and worksheets
- Gluten-containing foods list
- Signs you have a gluten sensitivity
- How to test for gluten sensitivity
- Gluten sensitivity risk factors
- Symptom tracker
- Gluten-free grocery list
- Gluten-free travel tips
… and much much more!
You will learn about:
- Gluten and its effect on the gut
- Gluten sensitivity testing and treatment
- Avoiding gluten in obvious and hidden sources
- Enjoying abundant foods that are naturally free of gluten
Medicine from LSU Health Sciences Center and spent 5 years working in emergency medicine before training with the Institute of Functional Medicine. She has helped thousands around the world recover from chronic illness through her dietary based program, The Myers Way, and she has created multiple interactive eBooks and eCourses to guide readers through her revolutionary approach to health. Her blog and website serve as a beacon of hope to the many sufferers of chronic disease and autoimmune conditions.
Her book: The Autoimmune Solution, a 30 day program to prevent and reverse the full spectrum of inflammatory symptoms and disease, is now available at all book retailers.